Life by Chocolate

Chocolate, white, milk, dark, in all its forms forms life. Chocolate truffles, caramels, and other confections are at the core of enjoyment. This is life by chocolate because death by chocolate is the wrong attitude.

Friday, August 8, 2008

Making Nougat, the movie


Prepping to make the nougat.



Well, I decided that there are a couple of tricky aspects of making nougat that I can only explain with a video. So, I decided to make some nougat Montelimar. I'm not putting the recipe up, just videos. However, if you take the recipe for my Honey Nougat and you heat the honey up to 108C, get the whites whipping, take the honey up to 125C, start the sugar mixture heating on as high as you have, next add the honey slowly to the whites to keep from collapsing and keep whipping the honeyed whites. When the sugar reaches 155C, pour that in, again slowly, do not make the whites collapse.

At this point, you should have the inclusions ready. Almonds, toasted, Pistachio, toasted, Hazelnuts, toasted, cherries, quartered, pear and apricot, diced into 1/4" cubes. Mix the nougat into the inclusions. Make sure that the bowl of inclusions has been keep in a 120C oven. You will pretty much have this nougat recipe.

Anyway, this post isn't about making Montelimar nougat but rather what I wanted to do was to show you the whipping of the whites. Keep in mind that it's hard to video, make nougat and get all this right. You'll notice that I'm splattering the sugar. Try not to do that. It's hard. When I use my small 5 quart mixer, it's a lot easier. Doing small batches in my 20 quart mixer is fun and easy but you get the sugar splatters.

First we whip the eggs whites and keep it whipping the whole time. Then we pour in the honey, for this nougat, and next we pour in the sugar. Blogger is not allowing me to upload video right now. So, all I have is still pictures. I'll publish those and see what I can do about the video.

Let's see if this works.

Here are some more pictures.

I mixed in the inclusions.

Here is the result of putting this nougat on the wafer paper. This nougat was so thick by the time I was done, I had to kneed it into the inclusions like bread. Or as Nancy says, hot bread. Very hot. Wear food service gloves.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home