Life by Chocolate

Chocolate, white, milk, dark, in all its forms forms life. Chocolate truffles, caramels, and other confections are at the core of enjoyment. This is life by chocolate because death by chocolate is the wrong attitude.

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Finger of Hoob -- The Tasting




I got out a FoH for tasting, the nice chocolate stout. First thing I did was knock over and break my tasting glass. My friends and family could have heard me on the West Cost or even in Australia. %-( I had to open another one. ^-)

I tasted it. It's surprisingly exactly like a double chocolate stout, say Young's, with a lot more fizz and hops. Not a heavy stout but also not a sweet stout. However, it is highly alcoholic. I wonder if it is 7% with the dosage/priming sugar? It's very fizzy.

I can detect maybe a touch of chocolate but not very much. I also may be fooling myself because Kim can't taste any chocolate at all. Next time 2 lbs of chocolate and 2 T of each of the cocoa powered. I also need some non-fermentable sugar though I like the dry quality to the beer and I do like the non-heavy taste. The hops are very bitter. I think another week of conditioning and some lagering would help. This is almost IPA in its bitterness.

Very, very delish. It'll probably calm down. This is surprisingly light.

2 Comments:

Blogger John LaPolla said...

Conditioning should help as well as lagering. Let me know how it tastes in another week.

February 21, 2011 at 9:12 AM  
Blogger Mark by Chocolate said...

I've had 5 bottles and gave 1, soon 2, away. It tastes great now! It's nice drinking something that we brewed. I'll make sure I save you two.

February 21, 2011 at 10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home